Friday, February 02, 2007

Pastor Guy

So it’s official, I have been accepted back into the ordination process in the United Methodist church and have been recommended to the cabinet to be appointed as a local pastor. This has been a long road to come to this decision, but I think that process has been beneficial and necessary that God might have me where I am. There are no guarantees that I will be appointed to a church this year, but I’m hopeful. Not only am I one of the low people on the totem pole, but we have asked to stay in Rochester, which limits the options.
I know that I am gifted for pastoral ministry and I’m really excited about it, but I also know what a huge responsibility it is and I have a healthy fear of that. I was frustrated with how poorly I communicated to the district ordination committee about how I see my call to pastoral ministry in the United Methodist Church and my call to Gen X being connected. It’s really quite simple, I think the best way to provide spiritual leadership to Gen X’ers is by having a healthy church of people that love Jesus of all ages. There is a lot to be said about gathering multiple generations together in a local church that meets the deepest needs of God’s children and better equips them to honor God with lives of worship.
If I do get appointed to a church it will be this summer at the earliest. There is something kind of cool about having a time of preparation before I take this step, but there is also the practical side of things as well. And that practical side of things says that 30 hours a week at just a little over minimum wages doesn’t pay the bills. I’m in the process of trying to pick up some more hours in addition to the coffee thing.

No comments: